Sunday, July 24, 2011

TMI

I was seated at a bus stop on my way to work on day and a lady dropped on the bench beside me. I had my nose in a book, doing my best to look occupied as strangers have a habit of talking to me.

Alas today was to be no different. She eased me in slowly, by saying, "Hi, how are you?"

I should have trusted my instincts and pretended to be deaf or something, as an adult female carrying a "Hello Kitty" purse and dressed mostly in pink is most likely going to be missing screw or two upstairs.

I mumbled something intelligible in reply, most likely a "fine, thanks." Carefully not asking a question back as I do not want the conversation to continue, and went back to my book.

She went on to make comments about the weather, as it was a hot, sunny day, about how this bus stop in particular takes quite awhile, etc. My answers consisted of very short "yep" and returning quickly to my book.

And then it happened. She began talking about how she has been in and out of the hospital a lot recently, that she's had to have lot of evasive vaginal procedures done. Describing them in detail, at this point, my book was progressively getting closer to my face as she talked in hopes that she would clue in and stop talking. Or that my book would swallow me whole. 

During the most descriptive part, the bus ambling towards us. At this point debated whether or not I should skip it and wait the extra 20 min, which would also cause me to be late for work.

Figuring that being late most likely wasn't an option I dejectedly got on the bus behind Hello Kitty. I purposely walked past her and sat near the back of the bus. She followed and sat beside me (well across the isle as I left my bag on the seat directly beside me to avoid company). 

She then told me how her boss was getting fed up with her missing so much work, and how they wouldn't promote her past the kitchen in the fast food place she was working. She wasn't sure if she should stay there, but since she needed to have a few more procedures done, she wasn't sure she could get another job.

During this whole conversation, she repeatedly apologized for interrupting my reading. And my "I'm going to get back to my book now" did not stop the chatting. I noticed a few people snickering near by as they could over hear the conversation, and I'm sure were highly amused at my pain.

Hello Kitty luckily got off 1 stop away from where I was linking to another bus, as she was on her way to work. When I finally arrived at work, I made sure to let everyone know not to eat at Hello Kitty's work. When asked why, I replied "You really rather not know, trust me."

No comments:

Post a Comment