Tuesday, August 9, 2011

From Scratch or Store Bought?

A friend one day said she was going to attempt to make her own marshmellows that weekend. I must have had a odd expression, because she asked me if I didn't think this would be a good idea...

My thoughts were that, yes it would be interesting, however, how much time, money and energy goes into making marshmellows from scratch? When you can just buy them for like $1.50 at the store?

That made her stop and reconsider the idea as she didn't think about the cost of ingredients to make it herself vs the store bought ones before.

And based on the ingredients, it appears I was right in this case, home made marshmellows would cost more... and I'm not certain how they would turn out...

  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp light corn syrup
  • 1.5 cups water, divided in half
  • 4 tbsp unflavored gelatin
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 egg whites, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • Additional flavoring or coloring, optional
  • candy thermometer

No comments:

Post a Comment